Home General Information Court Information Online Index Credit Card Payment Frequently Asked Questions Virtual Courthouse Guided Tours Contact Us
Civil Case
Criminal Case
Domestic Violence
Family Law Facilitator
Fees and Forms
Glossary of Terms and Legal Dictionary
Grand Jury
Juvenile Court [image]
Landlord/Tenant/Unlawful Detainer
Local Rules
Self Help Resources
Small Claims
Traffic Court
Adoptions Mediation
Appeals Probate
Business License Property Taxes
Civil Case Records
Collection Unit Small Claims
Juvenile Court Traffic Court
Marriage Trial Jury
Guided Tour
Virtual Tour
Online Tour
Photo Gallery
Court Etiquette
Former Judges

The juvenile court is a division of the superior court. It handles two types of cases:


Juvenile Delinquency: These cases involve children who have committed law violations that would be considered crimes if committed by an adult.


Juvenile Dependency: These are cases that concern family situations where allegations of abuse or neglect have been made and the juvenile court intervenes to protect the family’s children.

The Court’s Authority

The juvenile court has broad authority in juvenile delinquency and dependency cases. It can remove children from their homes, order their placement with relatives or in foster care or group homes, terminate parental rights, create new parental rights, and join various agencies to provide needed services. In delinquency cases, the juvenile court can also order children to be confined in locked facilities, including the California Youth Authority.

Whenever the court decides to remove a child from his or her home, placement and responsibility for that child is given to a governmental agency. It can also order services to be provided that will allow children to remain in their homes safely. In delinquency and status offense cases, that agency is the probation department; in dependency (abuse and neglect) cases, the agency is the county welfare department. The agency is responsible for meeting the health and educational needs of the child, as well as providing the care, treatment, and guidance the child may need.

Legal Help

Because these decisions are so serious and affect fundamental rights, it is very important that, if a juvenile case involves you or your child, you consult an attorney who can advise you more specifically about the court process as it relates to your case.

Your Right to an Attorney

The child in a delinquency case has a right to an attorney; a parent in a dependency (abuse and neglect) case has a right to an attorney; and the court must appoint an attorney for the child in an abuse and neglect case unless the court finds the child would not benefit from the appointment.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I change my court date?

  • A: Contact your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, contact the Public Defender's office.

Q: How do I go about having my juvenile case sealed?

  • A: There is a fee payable to the Superior Court for filing a petition to seal a juvenile record. The form, Petition to Seal Juvenile Record, may be obtained from the clerk's office of the court. Juvenile cases are confidential and information is not given over the phone. In order to obtain confidential information you must be a party to the case and show photo identification at the clerk’s counter when making your request.
  • Click Here For A Printable Civil Filing and Appearance Fees List